Norlutate is a drug used for the treatment of abnormal bleeding from the uterus in women. The generic name of Norlutate is Norethindrone acetate.
Uses of Norlutate
Norlutate is used in:
- Women with problem of abnormal bleeding from the uterus
- Women with amenorrhea (having no periods for many months) but are not pregnant
- Women with Endometriosis ( a condition in which the tissue which lines the uterus normally from inside is found outside of the uterus in pelvic/ abdominal area) and having painful period due to this
Mode of action of Norlutate
Norlutate is Norethindrone acetate. Norethindrone is a kind of female hormone i.e. progestin. It is similar to the hormone progesterone. This drug works by inhibiting the growth of uterus lining during the menstrual cycle. It signals hormonal changes in uterus in order to restore the normal menstruation.
How to use Norlutate
Norlutate is taken orally as suggested by the doctor. You can take it with meal or after taking meal to keep away stomach upset.
The drug dosage is designated by the severity of the problem or the response to the treatment. T o treat the abnormal bleeding and amenorrhea, you must take it one time a day for 5 to 10 days during the 2nd half of the planned cycle. Withdrawal bleeding occurs within three to seven day after stopping the drug.
Side effects of Norlutate
The most common side effects that this drug causes include:
- Mood swings
- Weight gain or weight loss
- Trouble sleeping
- Swelling or tenderness in breasts
- Hair loss
- Unwanted growth of hair
- Change in sexual interest
These side effects are usually not very severe and resolve on themselves even if left unattended. There are also some serious side effects of this drug like:
- Changes in vaginal bleeding like breakthrough bleeding, spotting, no bleeding at all or changes in menstrual flow
- Changes in vaginal discharge
- Swelling in feet or hands
- Painful, frequent or burning micturation (urination)
- Yellow skin and eyes
- Melasma ( dark patches on face or skin)
If you see any of these side effects, you must consult your doctor soon.
Rarely, Norlutate cause some very severe side effects that could be fatal if left untreated. The very serious side effects are:
- Problems due to blood clot ( blood clot in lungs or legs, blindness, stroke or heart attack)
- Pain in chest, left arm or jaw
- Weakness usually on 1 side of the body
- Sudden changes in vision ( blurred vision, double vision, bulging eyes, loss of vision)
- Slurred speech
- Breathing issues
- Severe headache
- Severe dizziness
- Blood in cough
- Severe allergic reaction
Pregnancy and beast feeding
This drug is not at all advised to take during pregnancy. It harms the unborn baby especially if a woman takes it in the first four months. This drug also passes in the breast milk and cause unwanted effects on the baby. Hence, it should not be taken by lactating mothers.