Bleeding disorders are not uncommon health conditions. Many women suffer from it. But, the problem is that they never find this out. The reason behind this is menstruation and childbirth. During menstruation and childbirth, the women bleed heavily and hence, it becomes difficult for them to recognize the abnormal bleeding. Why is so important to find out bleeding disorders? What if they are never diagnosed? What are the consequences of undetected bleeding disorders? Let’s find out.
Bleeding Disorder: An Overview
In bleeding disorders the bleeding doesn’t stop. It is difficult for a person with bleeding disorder to stop bleeding. Generally, when a person bleeds, a clot forms automatically to arrest the bleeding, but in bleeding disorders the clot doesn’t form because platelets and clotting factors, that are essential for clotting don’t work properly. They bleed for a longer duration of time than normal.
Types Of Bleeding Disorder
There are many kinds of bleeding disorders, but the most common bleeding disorders are Von Willebrand Disorder (VWD) and Haemophilia.
Von Willebrand Disease (VWD)
It is an inherited bleeding disorder and is quite common. The reason behind this is certain defects in the clot forming blood substances. Women with VWD present with:
- Heavy and too long periods
- Bleeding excessively after child birth
- Bleeding excessively after surgery or dental work
- Easy bruising
Haemophilia is an inherited bleeding disorder that is caused by an inherited gene mutation. Women who inherit this trait become carriers of haemophilia. They don’t have this disease but, pass them on to their children. They do not frame any symptom but, if present, they are:
- Heavy bleeding during menstruation
- Bleeding excessively during surgery, dental work, childbirth and serious injury.
Symptoms Of Bleeding Disorder
The symptoms of bleeding disorders are very mild in women and hence, it becomes difficult to find out. The symptoms are:
- Heavy periods
- Excessive bleeding from reproductive disorders like endometriosis.
- Large bruises even from minor injuries
- Heavy nose bleeding
Bleeding Disorders And Menstruation
Heavy bleeding during periods doesn’t necessarily means bleeding disorder. About 5 to 20% of women who have heavy menstruation have bleeding disorder.
Diagnosis Of Bleeding Disorder
Diagnosis is done on the basis of symptoms, family history and by investigations like blood tests. Sometimes physical examination is carried out.
Treatment Of Bleeding Disorder
The treatment of bleeding disorders is symptomatic. If a woman is suffering from VWD, she does not necessarily take any medication. Medications are only required during surgical or dental procedures.
For severe symptoms the treatment includes:
- Birth control pills
- Desmopressin acetate
- Clotting factors concentrates
Consequences Of Untreated Bleeding Disorders
Untreated bleeding disorders cause excessive bleeding after
- Dental procedures
Women's Health Info
- Home Remedies for Abortion Pain
- Discontinuing MS treatment During Pregnancy: What Happens Next
- Top Important Factors that can create Hurdles in a way of healthy Life
- How to Get Rid of Hemorrhoid Pain
- Would Cialis be able to Cure the PMS Cramps in Women?
- Natural Ways to Heal Your Gut
- Can Sex Cause Cardiac Arrest?
- Bone Tumor
- Natural treatment for Hidradenitis Suppurativa
- How to Get Rid of Blisters on Face
- What Health and Fitness are All About
- Home Remedies for Ligament Aches
- Disparities between Men and Women – Role of Heart Attack on Sexual Function
- Do You Understand Women
- Advantages and Disadvantages of IUD
- Home Remedies for Pilonidal Cyst
- How to Get Rid of Greasy Scalp
- Are We Really Progressing?
- Can Women Also Use Viagra?
- Wellbeing Of Mankind Lies With The Health Of Women
- General Precautions To Take During Pregnancy
- The Reasons Being Female Sexual Dysfunction
- Why No Woman Should Be Happy Being the “Side Chick”
- Bleeding Disorders
- Everything In Nature Is Beautiful
- Social Media Can Help
- Women’s Welfare In India
- What Should You Do Before Shaving Your Bikini Line
- Women’s Mental Health and Causes
- Exercise Tips for Busy Moms
- Health for Pregnant Mothers
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- Health and fitness regimen for teenage girls
- Food For Thought
- It’s Time To Talk About Alcohol And Women
- Exploit Your Full Potential
- Insomnia among women – facts, diagnostics and treatments
- High weight in first pregnancy can cause trouble next time
- Tips and Precautions During Menstruation
- Modern Women, Better Watch Out
- 5 tips on how to stay young and beautiful
- The Importance of Women’s Health
- How to be healthy and fit after giving birth
- Products for health of women
- Migraines changes during pregnancy
- Achievable health and fitness goals
- Another vaccination is required who already received HPV vaccine
- Girls Beware
- Life on earth is tied together by Love
- Antirheumatic agents and Mazindol
- Basic exercises to do at home
- Health and fitness – be a stronger woman
- Female Viagra pills
- Ortho Tri-Cyclen