Insomnia among women – facts, diagnostics and treatments
Insomnia is a common disorder that affects the sleep pattern of any individual. It is not gender exclusive, so it’s found in men as well as women although its chances of occurrence increases with age; however, more and more of this is being reported among women due to several factors that have been discussed below. So, ever feel that you’re getting poor sleep or no sleep at all? Refer to the facts below and you might know the truth.
Insomnia in detail
Insomnia is a sleep disorder that affects those areas of the brain that put a person to sleep. What ends up is disturbance in certain hormones that put you to sleep thus putting your health at risk. Insomnia among women has been reported to be more common due to several factors like menopause, stress or even depression, details listed down below.
Insomnia is also categorized as primary insomnia and secondary insomnia. Primary insomnia is an all-out disorder in the sense that it has no direct cause or medical condition, as secondary insomnia. It can however be triggered due to following factors:
• Long travel hours.
• Shifting work hours.
• Certain stressful events.
• Any other factor that disturbs normal bed time.
On the contrary, secondary insomnia among women occurs due to certain medical conditions like:
• Anxiety disorders.
• Chronic pains like arthritis and migraines.
• Apnea, restless leg syndrome that are sleep disorders.
• Stroke and Alzheimer’s disease.
• Excessive substance abuses of alcohol caffeine and tobacco.
• Also caused by poor sleep environments.
Why are women more prone to insomnia?
More and more women are being reported to be suffering from insomnia due to several endogenous factors like:
• Menopause, that affects normal sleep pattern due to hormonal changes.
• Pregnancy resulting in sweating, cramps and trouble falling asleep.
• Medical conditions like anxiety and migraines have more effect on women.
There are no fixed procedures for spotting insomnia as it’s done for other diseases through tests, however, its recommended to visit a doctor as he/she may ask for certain information like sleep history, sleep routine or even talk to your bed partner. Referring to a sleep specialist or center will also help.
There are several medications and cognitive behavioral therapies (CBT) for insomnia.
• Stimulus control.
• Cognitive therapy and control.
• Relaxation control.
• Prescribing oral sleep medicines like Ativan, Lorazepam, Ambien and Doxepin.
Insomnia is a general disorder that can have some health consequences. There are several ways to independently combat it too:
• Keep sleep environment silent and dark. Make sure there is no noise.
• Making sure sleep timings are maintained.
• Ensure that it’s not too late to go to sleep.
• Physical activity boosts sleep and makes it normal.
• Totally avoid caffeine, alcohol or drugs late at night.
• Follow a relaxing routine like reading a book or listening to relaxing music before going to sleep.
Women's Health Info
- Home Remedies for Abortion Pain
- Discontinuing MS treatment During Pregnancy: What Happens Next
- Top Important Factors that can create Hurdles in a way of healthy Life
- How to Get Rid of Hemorrhoid Pain
- Would Cialis be able to Cure the PMS Cramps in Women?
- Natural Ways to Heal Your Gut
- Can Sex Cause Cardiac Arrest?
- Bone Tumor
- Natural treatment for Hidradenitis Suppurativa
- How to Get Rid of Blisters on Face
- What Health and Fitness are All About
- Home Remedies for Ligament Aches
- Disparities between Men and Women – Role of Heart Attack on Sexual Function
- Do You Understand Women
- Advantages and Disadvantages of IUD
- Home Remedies for Pilonidal Cyst
- How to Get Rid of Greasy Scalp
- Are We Really Progressing?
- Can Women Also Use Viagra?
- Wellbeing Of Mankind Lies With The Health Of Women
- General Precautions To Take During Pregnancy
- The Reasons Being Female Sexual Dysfunction
- Why No Woman Should Be Happy Being the “Side Chick”
- Bleeding Disorders
- Everything In Nature Is Beautiful
- Social Media Can Help
- Women’s Welfare In India
- What Should You Do Before Shaving Your Bikini Line
- Women’s Mental Health and Causes
- Exercise Tips for Busy Moms
- Health for Pregnant Mothers
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- Health and fitness regimen for teenage girls
- Food For Thought
- It’s Time To Talk About Alcohol And Women
- Exploit Your Full Potential
- Insomnia among women – facts, diagnostics and treatments
- High weight in first pregnancy can cause trouble next time
- Tips and Precautions During Menstruation
- Modern Women, Better Watch Out
- 5 tips on how to stay young and beautiful
- The Importance of Women’s Health
- How to be healthy and fit after giving birth
- Products for health of women
- Migraines changes during pregnancy
- Achievable health and fitness goals
- Another vaccination is required who already received HPV vaccine
- Girls Beware
- Life on earth is tied together by Love
- Antirheumatic agents and Mazindol
- Basic exercises to do at home
- Health and fitness – be a stronger woman
- Female Viagra pills
- Ortho Tri-Cyclen